Jul 3, 2010

Red, White and Blue...and Brown and Green?

The day started early...and seemed even earlier because my head didn't hit the pillow until after midnight.  I chauffered DH around early this morning (he was multi-tasking, so I picked him up from the tire store and dropped him off at the barber shop.)

While he got a trim, I came home and removed a dead mole from Big Dog's jaws, rewarded her with puppy treats, washed my hands and made up a batch of blueberry and strawberry scones using this recipe.  Hence the red, white and blue.

The scones were pretty AND delicious - as anything with 3/4 of a pound of butter and a cup of heavy cream should be - and we now have a huge bag of them tucked away in the freezer to savor one-at-a-time.

After picking him up from the barber shop, we hit the grocery store and then Lowe's (it wouldn't be a holiday weekend if we didn't patronize at least one of the big box stores); then back to pick up his car and set into a day full of chores: he hooked up up a new heron spitter for the pond and worked on the lawn, while I cleaned the outdoor rug, then turned the power washer on the garage siding and windows and the sidewalk that runs between the garage and deck. 

Most people go to the pool or lake when they want a bit of water fun.  Me?  I get hold of a power washer and act like the Terminator. By the time I was finished, I looked like a moss-and-dirt covered creature.  Since I was grubby, it was off to the garden for some weeding and planting.  A brief rain storm finally forced me indoors long enough to shower, take youngest child to get a few things for Bible camp, then back home to face a truckload of mulch, delivered by my thoughtful husband.  (Hence the brown.)  I got the mulch down just as the sun was sinking and there was only enough daylight left to tie up the tomato plants, which turned my hands a beautiful shade of....green.

Tomorrow promises to be a continuation of the same:  after the youth group heads off for camp, it's time to put down more mulch, then more watering and weeding.  Maybe Monday will be an actual holiday, when we can kick back and relax.  (I did pick up the fixins to make homemade ice cream, so there is always that!)  I hope everyone has a safe and happy Independence Day weekend!