Jan 31, 2011

January's resolution

Well, I started off in January with every intention of jumping back into daily Bible reading. And I kept it up for a couple weeks.  In fact I was feeling pretty confident that it would settle into a newly formed habit by the end of the month.

But then one night I didn't get my reading done. Or the next night, or the night after that. Before I knew it a week and then two had gone by, without any attempt to catch up or even start over.

So this past weekend, I took a few hours and caught up. (Is that the best way to read the Bible? Arguably no, but there's that OCD part of me that needs to be "on track" - whatever that means, and by whatever means necessary.) One disclaimer I feel I should add, even though it doesn't excuse my lack of study, but the Bible is the only book I have picked up and read with any frequency as of late. A stack of hardbacks sit forlornly in my nightstand. Not even the surprise Christmas gift of a second Kindle has ignited my interest in reading anything else. So it's not that I'm not interested in Bible reading, it's a general malaise.

Now that I'm caught up, I'll be using habitforge.com to re-start this resolution and make it part of my daily routine, while also starting on February's resolution. (Sorry, you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what THAT is :-)

How are you doing with your new year's resolutions? If you're struggling, take heart - you're definitely not alone! And if you need to start over, now's as good a time as any.

Happy reading - and resolution-keeping!