Oct 5, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Hawaiian Hot Ham and Cheese Bites

An online friend recommended this recipe years ago and somehow I overlooked it until just recently.  But as I read through it, my imagination kicked in and I was tempted to give them a try as soon as possible.  We had them last week and they lived up to their billing as amazing sandwiches.  I am recommending just one tiny change from the original recipe, which is in noted in the directions below. These would be great on a buffet (and I'm already putting them in my list of go-to recipes for holiday gatherings.) 


Give them a try now; I bet we'll both show up with a plateful of them at the next potluck we're invited to!

Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Bites

Ingredients:
1 package King's Hawaiian rolls (original or wheat - I used wheat)
1/2 pound shaved ham (I used honey ham and diced it into shreds)
6 slices baby Swiss, cut into quarters
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, melted (I used the full stick/half-cup)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350.

Remove the rolls from the plastic sleeve and flatten the sides of the cardboard tray.  Use a bread knife to cut the entire rectangle of rolls in half horizontally; set aside the tops.  Place the bottoms (still attached together if possible), in a 9x12 or 7x 12 glass baking dish.  Sprinkle the shredded ham evenly, then top with the cheese squares.

Mix together the butter, Dijon, dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce together.  (Here's where I part ways with the original directions:  I suggest you flip the tops over and use a brush to brush on at least half the butter mixture.)  Place the tops on the meat and cheese.  Pour the rest of the butter mixture over the top (or all of the mixture if you follow the original steps.)  Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.

Just in case you're not familiar with Hawaiian rolls, here's what they look like:
You'll find them usually in the deli section, rather than the bread section of your grocery store.  They also make great "buns" for mini hamburgers/sliders.

Happy eating!

Print Friendly and PDF