Oct 27, 2011

Thankful Thursdays: Gimme an A!

Two weeks ago, I started a countdown of six things I'm most thankful for and each begins with one of the letters of the word "THANKS".   First was Today, because it is all we can really say we have for certain.  Last week was Health, something I all too often take for granted. This week, I am thankful for...

abode.

Webster's defines "abode" as a temporary place to abide or dwell; a habitation.  Our homes may be old or new, humble or grand - it's all relative.  As long as we are mindful that our earthly dwelling is temporary and we use it wisely, our home is truly a blessing to all who gather under its roof.

By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established;by knowledge the rooms are filled  with all precious and pleasant riches. (Proverbs 24: 3-4)

"Home for Thanksgiving" by Grandma Moses
I love our home and the good times and wonderful memories we create as a family living inside these walls.  Someday, it will be just a place we passed through.  Until then, I pray that God continues to bless our home and all who dwell within with wisdom and faith.

Are you ready for Thanksgiving?  Friends who know me well also know I skip past Halloween, so that gives me lots of time to decorate our home with fall stuff.  This Grandma Moses print is especially poignant, as I remember a Moses print hanging above on the wall behind the dining room table in my grandparent's home.  I think it captures the true essence of welcoming family home for the holidays.  It's not about having a grand home or setting a magazine-perfect table, but the joy of seeing family and friends gather together.  I snagged a copy of this from eBay for $3.50 the other day - can't wait for it to arrive so I can frame it up and move the mantel forward another step toward the holidays.

Of course, these days there's almost always something cooking or baking as I plow my way through old and new recipes for rib-sticking, heart-warming foods.  (Yes, last week's focus was on health, which means avoiding the fattening and rich foods of the holidays.  It's not a paradox  I cook up a storm, but then send plates of goodies with Mr. Official to share with his staff and co-workers - a few nibbles and bites for everyone means no lasting harm to anyone's waistline or blood sugar levels.  This week's bake-a-thon is turning out cinnamon pumpkin pull-apart bread, pumpkin-spice baked donut holes and sour cream chocolate chip bread.  Mmmm, mmmm, good.)

Happy thanks-giving,


Print Friendly and PDF