Feb 4, 2011

It's raining violets...

I've been on an eBay binge, and I've got a whopping hangover to prove it. Overwhelming evidence is mounting daily in the form of boxes delivered to my door, each one filled with pretty pieces of violet-strewn china. Plates, cups, saucers, bowls, serving pieces...oh my. 


I realized I haven't even updated my weekly menu in two weeks.  (I have been cooking, though. And baking bread.)  Not so much on the cleaning, though. Sorry Flylady.  So how does this wanton behavior square with my resolution to make this a frugal February? Well....it doesn't.  (Hey, at least I'm honest with myself.)

But in my defense:

1. It was a dirt cheap fling. Apparently no one else is thinking violets this time of year. (HELLO!!! Violets are the official flower of February, AND it's almost Valentine's Day!?!?!)  My nose for bargains rooted out pieces so cheap, the shipping was often more than the pieces themselves. In fact, most of my purchases have averaged about a buck apiece. For vintage china in GREAT condition. Don't everybody rush to eBay all at once...I've still got a few pieces I'm eyeballing and I'd like to snatch them up without any competition, thank-you-very-much.

2.  It was in lieu of any birthday gifts.  (Last year's Dutch oven and tickets to see Josh Turner at the Grand Ol' Opry were wonderful surprises but this year I advised Mr. Official that I'd save him the trouble of figuring out what to buy me.)

Once everything arrives, I'll have enough pieces to throw a proper (if modern) tea party for a dozen or two friends. And I took a neglected area of our home and made it into something useful and joyful to behold. Stay tuned for upcoming posts. One will have the before-and-after shots, and another will feature some nifty, thrifty ways to make a china hutch display pop and sizzle.  (Because "staid" and "traditional" just aren't in my repertoire.)

Now where's the Tylenol?

Happy  Friday!