Mar 9, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Peanut Butter Butterscotch Chip Cookies

Not as well-rounded as Betty, but a good 'un
It's chocolate chip cookie week, not that I ever need an excuse to bake cookies.  The Cookbook Junkie posted this classic chocolate chip cookie recipe from King Arthur flour and we will be trying it out soon, no doubt.

Since I've already shared my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes,  I thought I'd share another favorite in honor of the week.  I discovered this one in my trusty Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking when I was trying to find a good way to use up a stray bag of butterscotch chips without resorting to "oatmeal scotchies."   Even though I'm not a fan of butterscotch chips, the recipe was surprisingly good, and these cookies will appear occasionally when I'm in a mood to bake something different.  And I have been known to mix half chocolate and half butterscotch chips in this recipe, with good results.

Butterscotch Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened (I use butter)
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (smooth works okay too)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butterscotch chips (or half butterscotch, half semi-sweet chocolate)

Directions: 
Heat oven to 375.  In large bowl, combine sugars, butter and peanut butter.  Cream at low speed until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and egg; blend well.  Stir in flour, baking soda and salt, mix well but don't over-mix.  Stir in chips.  Spoon onto cookie sheets, roughly 1-inch balls, roughly two inches apart.  Slightly flatten with a fork if desired (I don't, but you can :-)

Bake at 375 for 6-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.  Makes 4-5 dozen.  These hold up well for a day or two, if they last that long.

Happy baking!