Apr 13, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Ranch Noodles

Disclaimer:  unlike the vast majority of recipes I post here, this is not a hands-down favorite among my family.  In fact, the yeas and nays split along gender lines, and the male members of my family don't care for this side dish as a rule.  However, *I* like it, and so does swimmer girl when she's carb-ing up during swim season.  Occasionally I throw out a cook's prerogative card and make it, despite the less-than-stellar reviews it generates from my family.

I think it pairs particularly well with Garlic-Lime Chicken, and the creaminess nicely balances any piquancy from the peppery rub.

Creamy Ranch Noodles

Ingredients:
1 package (8 ounces) fettuccine noodles
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup ranch dressing (I prefer Hidden Valley Ranch in this, but a store brand will do in a pinch)
1/2 cup fresh coarse grated Parmesan cheese
Coarsely  ground pepper

Directions:

In medium to large saucepan bring water to a boil, add salt and noodles; boil until al dente (usually about 12-14 minutes).  When noodles are done, drain and rinse.  In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except pepper.  Add well-drained noodles and stir to coat; cheese will become soft and a little stringy.  Sprinkle with pepper to taste.

Serve warm. makes 4-6 servings.  Leftovers can be reheated gently, but they aren't as good the second time around.

Happy cooking!