May 25, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Spaghetti Sauce

I confess, I rarely make my own from-scratch spaghetti sauce - I either use a mix and some tomato paste, or a jar of vodka sauce.  (Heresy, I know.) 

But when I do make sauce from scratch, this is my go-to recipe.  It was shared with me by my sister-in-law Donna, who is an excellent (if irregular) cook and a gracious and talented dinner hostess.  I think her sauce has a perfect blend of seasonings, and it's easy to mix together with staples I always have on hand; in fact, we had enjoyed it last night on a break from our low-carb dinner plan.

Next week I will post another Donna's recipe; it's for homemade raviolis, which a longtime friend (and maid-of-honor in my wedding) showed me how to make many many years ago.

And  in case you're wondering, yes - the two recipes can be used together and become doubly delicious.  Thank you to both Donnas for our long friendships and sharing these recipes with me.

Donna's Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes (I used stewed with Italian seasonings; I also puree them before adding to the sauce)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon onion flakes
2 cloves garlic

Directions
Brown ground beef and drain.  Add other ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes.  Serve over warm cooked spaghetti noodles or other pasta.

Happy cooking,