Oct 11, 2010

When You Bleed Orange

With apologies to Thomas Paine...
"These are the times that try men's souls. The fairweather fan will, in this crisis, shrink from loyalty to his team; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. A losing season, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
It is great to be a Tennessee Vol...but admittedly, it's not very fun this year.  It took me a long time to warm up to Tennessee football, and even longer to instantly break out in song whenever I hear "Rocky Top."  But having been grafted into a Vol family, I now have orange blood coursing through my veins too.  So through thick and thin, I will continue to sport orange nail polish on my toes, wear orange shirts and dresses, and carry an orange purse and wear my "T" earrings with pride. 

And looking on the bright side:
  1. Lane who?
  2. Any win from now to the end of the season will be a happy surprise.  Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is to beat Vandy. (And Kentucky, if that isn't asking too much.)
  3. Alabama fell.  I'm not adding the Spurrier family to my Christmas card list, but the enemy of our enemy is our friend.
  4. True fans quietly persevere.  Losing seasons help thin the herd of the blowhards and bloviators that give the rest of us a bad rep.
  5. The UT team we know and love will return.  There are countless talented young men out there, practicing and playing their hearts out on Friday nights, and dreaming of a chance to run through the T.

Happy Monday,