Jun 23, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

I've been asked by a few friends to share some recipes in my blog.  I'm flattered by their requests, and I figure this is a good excuse to blog every Wednesday.   So here goes...

This recipe was one that was asked for - and as luck would have it, I'm making this on Saturday to serve Sunday evening to some dinner guests.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork


Ingredients:
3-4 pound pork roast (the original recipe calls for boneless pork shoulder but I usually use a Boston Butt and remove the bone after it cooks)
1 envelope Onion Mushroom or Onion Soup mix
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I adore Sriracha ever since my mom introduced me to it)
Kaiser rolls, potato rolls or other good quality sandwich rolls.

Directions:
  1. Rinse pork and pat dry.  Place in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients (except rolls) and pour over pork, turning to coat.
  2. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until pork is tender and shreds easily with a fork.
  3. Remove from slow cooker, reserving juice (I run mine through a fat separator).
  4. Stir shredded meat back into juice and serve with rolls.  Or allow to cool and place in large Ziploc bag or an airtight container for reheating.
Makes approximately 10-12 servings.

I've made this recipe a handful of times since I discovered it last winter.  I typically serve it with homemade colseslaw, pickles and a variety of sauces, so everyone can create their own masterpiece.  (I think coleslaw is pretty awesome on top of my sandwich, but pickles are mighty fine, too.)

It has always turned out great, but if you're making it for guests I recommend making it a day or two in advance because the vinegar smell can be a little overpowering as it cooks.  It reheats nicely and stays good and moist for several days - if it lasts that long!

The original recipe can be found on Lipton's website.

Final note:  Many years ago, there was a BBQ take-out place over in Lebanon TN that had the BEST hot vinegar sauce for their pulled pork.  All I can remember is the owner's name was James.  I'd love to find a really great (hot and spicy) vinegar sauce like that to serve with pulled pork, so if anyone has one to share, please let me know!