Dec 31, 2010

Retrospective on resolutions

For better or worse, blogging can hold you accountable. (Yeah, you can walk away at any time, but if you stick with it, you are stuck with your own words.)

Last year, I made a list of new year's resolutions here, and here's how I did on them:
  1. Showing more hospitality.  I wasn't quite as consistent month-to-month as I wanted to be, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with my  efforts on this one - we had several dinners with friends and family, and I opened my home to two big group activities, so I'd call this resolution one that I successfully kept.
  2. Running the race.  Despite a few setbacks, I have stuck with running for another year, and I'm looking forward to logging more miles this year.  Still nowhere near ready for a half-marathon, though.
  3. Becoming more purposeful.  Argh.  This is hard to do, and really hard to objectively measure.  Some days were better than others, and I think I can say I put more effort into attempting to be truly purposeful and careful with my time.  I still have lots of room for improvement, though.
  4. Becoming more prayerful.  Wish I could say I nailed this one, but God knows this is one I struggle with.  I think I struggle most with trying to do things on my own instead of giving them  to Him to handle, which means I hold off approaching Him until I feel I've got everything under control (which doesn't always happen.)  I don't know why I think He expects me to have (or even get) my act together - He knows me better than anybody else!
  5. Reading the Bible through.  I am most disappointed in myself on this one, because I just plain didn't make this a high priority.  I definitely need a do-over on this one. 
If I assigned grades of A through F on these, my GPA would be passing, but I wouldn't be on the Dean's List.  I am happy that I kept a couple of them well, and looking back has given me a clearer idea of what my 2011 resolutions and priorities will be.

Happy new year!