Jun 22, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Easy Coleslaw

I am a fan of quick-to-make foods.  Fresh, creamy sweet/tangy coleslaw is a great accompaniment to smoked, barbequed or grilled meats or fried fish (a once-every-few-years treat.)

My mother-in-law's family makes a peppery slaw dressing, but I prefer a bit of sweet in mine.  I've been asked for this recipe a few times, and I'm always a little embarrassed to give it out because it's so easy.  Then again, simple, fresh and good-tasting food is a gift that should be shared.

Creamy Coleslaw
Ingredients
1/2 head cabbage, sliced or shredded (or a bag of shredded slaw mix)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar (approximately)
1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Prepare cabbage by shredding or slicing; set aside.  In large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar.  Adjust to your own taste but I like my dressing to be slightly sweet with enough vinegar to cut through the thickness of the mayonnaise.   I usually do a taste-test with a strip of cabbage to make sure the flavors meld together well.  When the dressing is fully mixed, add shredded cabbage or slaw mix; toss to coat. Add a little more mayonnaise and other ingredients if necessary.  Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately or refrigerate for a few hours.  (I personally don't like it refrigerated for any longer than that, as the cabbage gets bitey.) Makes 4-6 servings.

Happy cooking!