Nov 23, 2010

Before you ask me to follow your blog....

One of the goals of a typical blogger is to get people to faithfully read their blog posts.  The easiest way to keep up with a particular blogger is to "follow" their blog and get an email update whenever a new post is added.

A few really serious bloggers make a living from ads or products and/or services they offer via their blog, but for most of us, being read is the only form of compensation we receive.  (Hint:  comments are always welcome.  They're kind of like applause after a performance, letting us know you didn't fall asleep halfway through.)

And most bloggers read/follow other blogs.  That makes sense:  those who love to write generally like to read, too.

I don't have a long list of blogs I follow, but there are those that I do keep up with - some of them are listed on my blog.  (Sharing the good news and all that.)   Unfortunately, I have discovered that I am the proverbial "kiss of death" for many an unsuspecting blogger.  As soon as I start following, they stop writing.  So if I don't follow your blog, please don't take it personally - I'm just trying to protect your writing muse.

Happy blogging,