Nov 3, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Mexican Pizza

Several years ago, I attended a Pampered Chef's party and the hostess made a scrumptious "Mexican Pizza" with a cornbread crust. I faithfully clung to the brochure with the recipe for years, but during one of our two most recent moves, it got lost in the shuffle.


I tried to make the recipe from memory a few times, but my efforts were less-than-successful (I couldn't get the crust right, and didn't remember the exact measurements.)  I begged all my friends with Pampered Chef connections to help me track down the recipe, but no one remembered it or had a copy of it.  I had given up on it until early this year when I came across a posted copy of the original recipe again.  That's also when I realized how much I had modified the toppings!  So here's my rendition of this delicious, easy recipe.  It makes a great appetizer, game-day food or weeknight dinner.

Mexican Pizza with Cornbread Crust

Crust:
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 400. Stir crust ingredients together. Place on pizza stone or greased pizza pan. Let rest 3 to 4 minutes, then use a rolling pin to make a 12 to 15-inch circle (or square it off if you're going to cut it in squares). Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven.

Topping:
1 pound hamburger, browned and drained
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 can refried beans
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained (hot or mild, you choose)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown and drain hamburger. Mix in taco seasoning and water, according to package directions. Cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Spread par-baked crust with refried beans; top with browned and seasoned hamburger, Rotel tomatoes and cheese. Return to oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden.

Makes 8 slices or 16 squares

Happy eating!