Nov 25, 2010

A Day of Thankfulness

Each Thursday this month, I've added to a growing list of things I am thankful for. On this Thanksgiving Thursday, my list of blessings is topped off with these seven:
  1. A safe trip.  We had an uneventful trip across four states to reach our destination.  We encountered cold and windy weather, but my trusty car got us safe and sound to where we were going.  I pray for everyone to have safe travels to and fro this week.
  2. Creature comforts.  We enjoy plenty of clean, dry, warm clothing, cozy beds and comfortable surroundings, 24/7/365.  Driving to our hotel in downtown St. Louis last night, I saw men and women who were obviously homeless and it is humbling to realize how much we take for granted.
  3. Jobs and health.  God has blessed us with an ability to support ourselves, provide for our children and enjoy life without major health issues.   It's a huge understatement to acknowledge that not everyone is as fortunate.  May we always appreciate our health and ability to earn a living.
  4. Friends.  If I tried to name all the friends who have been part of my life from childhood to now, I would be counting a very long time.  I have friends who have stuck with me through thick and thin, have challenged me to look at life through different eyes, and shared laughter and tears with me.  I am honored by your friendships, and for your willingness to share part of your life with me.
  5. Family.  You can't pick your family but even if I could choose, I couldn't have picked a better family to be part of.  Whether near or far, they are near and dear to my heart.  My life is richer for the experiences I've shared with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, my parents and brother, my husband, his family and our children.  Each person has shaped my life and influenced me in countless ways.
  6. The opportunity to count my blessings.  What a privilege it is to have time to meditate on all these blessings; to stop and take stock of what really matters, and to appreciate all that I have been given.
  7. My savior.  None of what I have or do would matter if I didn't have the hope of heaven.  Because of Jesus' sacrifice, I have grace and mercy instead of punishment for my sins. Salvation is a gift that is beyond amazing or my ability to comprehend.  All I can do in return is to love God, show his love and share the gospel with others.

Happy day of giving thanks!